Monday 6 February 2012

Hackney canals, concrete, olympics and maps


Above is a call to arms for a Waltham Forest council planning committee on Tuesday. I haven't been following this story but will try and keep up. You can find the details of the proposals here, and it will be discussed at a meeting tomorrow, 7 February 2012. The story was recently covered by East London Lines.

Below is a map of where I have been counting canal boats - I don't really know why I'm doing it yet! If you click on the red dots you'll open a bubble which gives you a list of dates and the number of boats at that spot on those dates. Some of them have photos (Old Ford Lock for example) but most haven't and I'm working on that *(I've just noticed that the data is not the latest set either - it's all a bit experimental at the moment!).

I am also hoping to convert the data I have into eye-friendly charts, a task that has so far proven too much for me - I would be grateful for any tips.






If anyone is wondering what life might be like aboard a canal boat in Hackney here's one boat owner's fairly regular account (no mention of the recent snow yet but the stormy weather last month was covered).

No comments:

Post a Comment